Med 15 dagar kvar till Sweden Rock Festival fortsätter vi med serien ”Inför Sweden Rock 2015”. Nästa band ut är Steve Grimmett’s Grim Reaper. Rocknytts Lisa Willman fick chansen att ställa några frågor till Steve Grimmett (sång).
Grim Reaper är ett av de få kvarvarande stora banden från the New Wave of British Heavy Metal. Sedan starten 1979 i engelska Swindon har bandet släppt tre album; See You in Hell (1984), Fear No Evil (1985) och Rock You to Hell (1987). Samtliga titelspår nådde stor framgång både i Europa och USA. Bandets popularitet berodde till stor del på frontmannen Steve Grimmetts kraftfulla röst, i kombination med grundaren Nick Bowcotts gitarrspel. Skivbolagskonflikter och det svalnande intresset för melodisk heavy metal ledde till att bandet upplöstes 1988. Grimmett gick då vidare till bland annat Onslaught och Lionsheart. 2006 startade han på nytt Grim Reaper, dock utan Bowcott. På allmän begäran har bandet börjat spela in ett efterlängtat fjärde album. När de nu kommer till Sverige och Sweden Rock Festival är det med ett unikt gästspel av Bowcott, som kompletterar nuvarande gitarristen Ian Nash. Bandet består även av Chaz Grimaldi på bas och Paul White på trummor.
Grim Reaper made a comeback in 2006, although with a different setup and the addition of “Steve Grimmet´s” to the original name. Founding member and guitarist Nick Bowcott has done few appearances since then. Now he is coming back to do an entire show, and has chosen Sweden Rock Festival for this special occasion. Why here and now?
– Nick has only played once with Steve Grimmetts Grim Reaper, which was in Chicago in April 2014, where he did a full set with us. Nick expressed that he would like to do Sweden Rock Festival which we were happy for him to do.
We are honored, of course, and it will be a great experience watching Grim Reaper with two guitarists! Especially since Ian has a similar style to Nick. How do they work together?
– They sound fantastic together. Nick has known Ian as long as I have and they have worked together before on one of Ians previous bands ‘Seven Deadly Sins’.
You are currently working on the new album From Hell, which is the first in 28 years. What took you so long? When will it be released?
– For many years SGGR was a band that was not going to produce another GR album. Things changed because we finally gave in to the demands of the fans. Hopefully autumn of this year.
How does it compare to your earlier records?
– It was a difficult album to write because we wanted it to continue from Rock you to Hell. We have become vastly more experienced at song writing so it was difficult to go back to how we used to write. That being said it was an absolute pleasure and a lot of fun to do.
In your opinion, how does NWOBHM stand the test of time?
– I don´t think there is anybody out there writing this kind of material. If they are it does not have the same vibe.
Your videos were ridiculed by Beavis & Butthead on MTV in the 90´s. Their harsh comments didn´t seem to put you down, though. How come?
– The producer of MTV was a fan. We happened to bump in to him and he thought we were going to beat him up but we shook his hand. We thought it was very funny. Due to this all 3 videos were on Beavis and Butthead. Interestingly enough, one of those clips has been voted one of the best Beavis & Butthead Metal Video Reviews!
You played at Muskelrock in 2012, and now you are coming back to do a show at Sweden´s largest festival. What is your view on your Swedish fans, and what are your expectations on the festival?
– Musklerock was a great show to do. The most unfortunate part was that we had to get back before meeting the fans, which we always like to do. We hope to put that right this year. We are expecting it to be a top rated metal show, as we have heard a lot of great stories about it. Do you have any final greetings to the readers? Thank you for all your support. Without you guys we couldn´t do it. Hopefully you will enjoy the show as much as we are looking forward to playing for you.
Thank you so much for your time. See you in a few weeks!
Steve Grimmett´s Grim Reaper spelar torsdag 4 juni 15:45 – 16:45 på 4Sound Stage
Sweden Rock Festival äger rum i Sölvesborg och det är 3-6 juni som ska markeras i kalendern. Klara band är bl.a Def Leppard, Judas Priest, Mötley Crüe, Toto, Slash, Ace Frehley, Backyard Babies, Five Finger Death Punch, The Darkness, Ghost, Behemoth, Airbourne, Opeth, Meshuggah, Extreme, Hammerfall, D-A-D, Children Of Bodom, Gojira, Dokken, Michael Monroe, Manfred Mann’s Earth Band, Molly Hatchet, Fish, Mustasch och Lucifer’s Friend.
Mer info och biljetter: www.swedenrock.com