Med 26 dagar kvar till Sweden Rock Festival fortsätter vi med serien ”Inför Sweden Rock 2015”. Nästa band ut är Dokken. Rocknytts Sebastian Ekblom Bak har känt Don Dokken (sång och gitarr) på pulsen inför festivalen.
tt av 80-talets stora band med en stilbildande kombination av traditionell hårdrock och melodier modell det vi nu kallar pudelrock. Dokken albumdebuterade 1981 och nådde under de följande åren miljonsäljande framgång, samt skapade ett gäng klassiska låtar som “Alone again”, “In my dreams”, “Dream warriors”, “Burning like a flame” och “The hunter”. Bandets sound förändrades på 90-talet, men de har sedan dess återgått till sin gamla goda stil. I dag utgörs Dokken av sångaren Don Dokken, trummisen Mick Brown, gitarrfantomen Jon Levin och nytillkomne basisten Mark Boals – den sistnämnde mest känd som sångare hos bland andra Yngwie Malmsteen och Royal Hunt. SRF blir deras enda Sverigebesök 2015.
First of all, a big welcome to Sweden Rock Festival! Its been a while since you last played in Sweden. What are your thoughts about the Swedish Music scene and do you have any special memories playing Sweden Rock Festival?
– Yes of course, the last time we played in Sweden the audience was incredible, Swedish fans love music and it shows. I’ve always loved Sweden, you have the best looking woman in the world, AND Norway,you guys are lucky, hey, that sounds like a good title for a song.
What can we expect from the “setlist”? Any surprises?
– We will do the hits and a few newer songs hopefully, we would like to do more songs from other CD’s but were limited on our set time unfortionetly.
Mark Boals is the new bassplayer? How did that come about?
– Mark sang back ground vocals on [Broken Bones] and then he told me he had played bass with Ted Nugent. I didn’t know he played bass since he’s mainly known as a lead singer, so he joined and were sounding better than ever having another lead singer in the band now.
How do you think when you decide a Festival-setlist? Do you go for the classics or do you want to play your recent stuff? Your thoughts?
– Actually we play mostly the hits when we play festivals because we only have an hour or so to play so we give the fans the hits. Just playing the popular known songs takes an hour but when we headline we play more maybe unknown songs because its fun and we have a longer set time but i understand that people want to hear what they remember from the MTV days and radio.
Is it possible for you to choose any favorites? The ones you Always love to play? If so…. which ones?
– We open the show with the [kiss of death]. I love that song, its heavy and a great way to start the show, HEAVY.
Sweden has always embraced Dokken and your Music, especially when John Norum played with you, do you guys still keep in touch?
– Yes we just played a festival with Europe in Maryland at the M3 festival, its always great to see John, we had great times together when he lived in L A, we all hung out and rode our Harleys together with Mikkee Dee when we were playing together. We lived close to each other so we all spent a lot of time together for several years. He’s actually Norwegian.
It’s been a couple of years since “Broken Bones”, when can we expect new Dokken-music?
– I’m not sure what the future holds as far as another record, the music business is in trouble mainly because of free downloading. So when you spend a lot of money on a record its hard to recoup, I still write songs every chance i get, but for now I’m concentrating on touring. I will always write songs because it is my passion, so i’m sure in time i will release another CD, but it might be a while.
Finally, anything you want to say to the SRF-crowd?
– We will give you our best, being that my family is Norwegian and comes from Oslo i feel like I’m coming home when i play in Scandinavia. In America for a long time fans thought that Dokken was a German name because my first record came out in Germany, but as you know it’s a Norwegian name. I guess that’s why i love Sardines (smile).
Dokken spelar fredag 5 juni 17:30 – 18:45 på Rock Stage
Sweden Rock Festival äger rum i Sölvesborg och det är 3-6 juni som ska markeras i kalendern. Klara band är bl.a Def Leppard, Judas Priest, Mötley Crüe, Toto, Slash, Ace Frehley, Backyard Babies, Five Finger Death Punch, The Darkness, Ghost, Airbourne, Opeth, Meshuggah, Extreme, Hammerfall, D-A-D, Children Of Bodom, Gojira, Dokken, Michael Monroe, Manfred Mann’s Earth Band, Molly Hatchet och Lucifer’s Friend.
Mer info och biljetter: www.swedenrock.com