Med 79 dagar kvar till Sweden Rock Festival, fortsätter vi idag med serien “Inför Sweden Rock 2015”. Nästa band ut i denna serie är den brittiska rocksensationen THE DARKNESS. Rocknytts Calle Englund fick chansen att ställa några frågor till en av grundarna tillika bandets gitarrist Dan Hawkins.
The Darkness blev en av det tidiga 2000-talets rocksensationer. Debutalbumet ”Permission to land” (2003) blev en miljonsäljare och producerade hela fem hitsinglar. Kvartetten blev därmed glamrockens första nya storstjärnor på åratal, och blev samtidigt ett ”älska eller hata”-band främst på grund av Justin Hawkins’ originella falsettsång och extroverta scenshow. Justin slutade av hälsoskäl efter andra albumet ”One way ticket to hell… and back” (2005) och The Darkness lades i malpåse. Efter några år då medlemmarna var verksamma i band som Hot Leg och Stone Gods återförenades The Darkness 2011. Comebackalbumet ”Hot cakes” (2012) fick ett positivt mottagande och följdes bland annat av turnéer med Lady Gaga (!). The Darkness fjärde album ”Cliffhanger” släpps under våren, i god tid före bandets återkomst till SRF.
– First of all, welcome back to Sweden and Sweden Rock! Its been two years since last time, what can we expect this time around?
“It’s great to be back, Sweden! What to expect? A shit load of rock. We have spent the last two years writing an album that we are hugely proud of. It is so full of riffs that it could be sick at any time. We also have a new drummer Emily who is also looking forward to puking all over your fine land.”
– You’re releasing your new album “The Last Of Our Kind” this spring, tell us something about that album, what is different/new, how was the recordings?
We fired everyone and stopped gigging for a whole year so that we could be free of meddling idiots and focus on making something that we were proud of. We went to great lengths to achieve this, including moving to remote medieval island off the coast Ireland so we would not be disturbed. Finally we have a worthy successor to our debut album.
– Your first album “Permission To Land” was such a huge success and at least in my point of view is one of the best rock albums to be released in the 21st century. You guys really sky-rocketed to rock royalty. How was the circus surrounding that? It must’ve felt like there where tremendous pressure on you to repeat the success with “One Way Ticket”, am i right?
We didn’t feel any pressure – we were just too drunk. One Way Ticket is a lot of our fans favourite album…however I personally think we have only just got back to our best.
– Do you have any special memories about Sweden that you would like to share?
I have spent a lot of time in Sweden as my Ex G is from Stockholm. I love the place – the food, fashion and countryside. I remember playing the Stockholm water festival before it was shut down, that night I went on a boat party hosted by Supergrass that went out to the baltic sea and back again. I’m amazed no one went overboard that night.
– Recently you were on a long tour with Lady Gaga, how was that? How was the crowd reception, considering that you are a loud rockband? Was the shows different than a “regular” Darkness concert so to speak?
In South America, South Africa and Eastern Europe it was like playing a headline show – they really loved it and wanted to rock. In other places (unfortunately Sweden being one of them) we went down like a fart in a lift. Oh well – can’t please evryone!
– What’s the best way to warm up before a show?
Go to the gym for an hour or two earlier in the day. Then make sure you look awesome.
– Do you have any favourite Darkness song to play live, i mean like some song during the set that really gets your blood pumping?
I always like “Givin’ Up” from album 1 and “Mudslide” from new album – I just love to hit a great riff and stay on it!
Thank you so much for taking the time to answer these questions, we’ll see you at Sweden rock!
Thanks loads can’t wait!!
Sweden Rock Festival äger rum i Sölvesborg och det är 3-6 juni som ska markeras i kalendern.Klara band är bl.a Def Leppard, Judas Priest, Mötley Crüe, Toto, Slash, Ace Frehley, Backyard Babies, Five Finger Death Punch, The Darkness, Airbourne, Opeth, Meshuggah, Hammerfall, D-A-D, Children Of Bodom, Gojira, Dokken, Manfred Mann’s Earth Band och Lucifer’s Friend.
Mer info och biljetter: www.swedenrock.com